Monday, December 23, 2013

favorite things

I think my singular favourite thing about the holidays is tradition.  It is the repetition of acts, from year to year, generation to generation, that I hold the most dear.  And nothing makes me happier than when my children see the value in those things as well.  This year, as we scanned our very over scheduled calendar to try and find a few hours on a weekend when we were ALL free to go to the country to the usual tree farm to get our fresh tree, there was no time to be found.  When I suggested we instead just pick up a tree in the city, the kids protested.  Together, they decided to make some sacrifices, skip some activities- ringette, hockey, dance classes- and MAKE the time to maintain our family tradition.  And so we did.  Sure, it was literally -40 degrees on the day we chose, but we bundled up and still merrily chose our tree, went on a sleigh ride, and drank hot chocolate as we do every year.  

It was magical.





I also love digging out the Christmas decorations every year.  Ornaments the kids have made, pictures with Santa, and some of my favourite Crafts of Christmas' Past.  





My quilted tree wall hanging made by my friend Cherie.


My hand quilted star table topper.






 (to name a few).

Whatever the holiday season means to you, I hope it is filled with love and joy.  I recently asked LBNL if she knew the "true" meaning of Christmas.  She replied, "Of course!  It's about baby Jesus, friends and family!"  May your holiday be filled with all of those…and maybe throw in a few fabric presents ;)

See you in 2014!

7 comments:

Leanne said...

Merry Christmas Kristie, and all the best for the new year.

Svetlana said...

Merry Christmas Kristie. Love all your beautiful crafty Christmas decorations as well as the tree. What a fantastic tradition.

Kay said...

Wonderful post. Happy Christmas.

ipatchandquilt said...

Merry christmas to you and your family!
Happy holidays!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Katy Cameron said...

Yay for preserving the family traditions, after all, you can dance and play hockey any old time :o)

Merry Christmas to you all!

Lynne said...

Hurrah for the preservation of family traditions. Unfortunately for us, now that DD and family live 8 hours' drive away, Christmas traditions are all but gone!

I wish you a joyous and peaceful Christmas.

Sarah said...

I love the traditions of Christmas best too. I hope you had a lovely day. We did. It was a nice warm one here in Australia. Hope yours was at least sunny!